Next week the second phase of construction for the US 41-Fruitville Road Roundabout Project will begin and will include the closure of westbound Fruitville Road from Cocoanut Avenue to US 41.
This closure is part of a new traffic pattern that is expected to be in effect through Summer 2020.
The following new traffic patterns will go in effect during Phase 2:
- Traffic will be shifted to the west on US 41 on the newly constructed traffic diversion roadway so that crews can begin construction of the roundabout on the east side of US 41. Two lanes of traffic will be maintained in each direction on US 41 during this phase of construction with this realignment.
- Westbound Fruitville Road will be closed to all traffic from Cocoanut Avenue to US 41.
- The left turn movement from northbound US 41 to westbound Boulevard of the Arts will be reinstated.
- The traffic signal at the US 41-Fruitville Road intersection will be switched to flashing yellow lights until the traffic switch is complete. As part of Phase 2, this signal will be removed in the coming weeks.
- Eastbound traffic on Fruitville Road from US 41 to Cocoanut Avenue will remain open.
- The third left-turn lane from Gulfstream Avenue onto NB US 41 will be reinstated.
- There will be no access from US 41 to 4th Street or the alleys located between 1st Street to 5th Street during Phase 2 construction.
Get Around Construction
To bypass traffic on US 41 within and around the project limits, the primary route to travel is Lemon Avenue, whether your destination is north of downtown Sarasota or on Longboat Key. Local businesses in the project limits are accessible and you’re encouraged to support them.
To review the best detour routes to help you navigate around construction to your destination, follow these links:
The US 41-Fruitville Road roundabout is being constructed by Wright Construction Group, Inc. for the Quay Sarasota, on behalf of the City of Sarasota in cooperation with the Florida Department of Transportation.