Since 1997 the Van Wezel has been committed to providing the very best arts-integrated professional development to area teachers as part of the John F. Kennedy Center's Partners in Education program with the School Board of Sarasota County. For more information about any Van Wezel Professional Development program, Contact (941) 955-7676 ext. 2246.
Arts Integration League
Launched summer 2014, as part of the Van Wezel's Partners in Education efforts, and in collaboration with Any Given Child Sarasota, the Arts Integration League (AIL) is a group of over 100 Sarasota County teachers engaged in in-depth professional development and arts integration training. Participants attend a 3 day summer intensive in which arts integration is defined and modeled, followed by three evening workshops throughout the school year. Each year, new teachers are added to the AIL, which expands our local network of arts integrated trained teachers.
Art Works Professional Development
As part of Art Works for Schooltime, the Van Wezel offers a series of arts based professional development for teachers inspired by each Schooltime Performance. Workshop will enhance a teacher's ability to prepare their students for the Schooltime Performance, but strategies may be used beyond attendance. These FREE professional development opportunities are available to educators from all counties and school districts.
Upcoming Professional Development Opportunities
2018-2019 Teacher Workshop Schedule
All of the Workshops will be held at The Van Wezel Performing Arts Hall in the Education Room from 5:00pm to 8:00pm.
- Magic School Bus - September 27th (Led by: Freda Williams & Kat Sjogren)
- We the People - October 4th (Led by: Freda Williams, Kat Sjogren, & Deb Lombard)
- Giggle, Giggle, Quack - October 11th (Led by: Laura Courter & Kat Sjogren)
- Black Violin - November 8th (Led by: Freda Williams & Kat Sjogren)
- Rosie Revere, Engineer - November 29th (Led by: Freda Williams, Laura Courter, & Kat Sjogren)
- Pilobolus - December 6th (Led by: Deb Lombard & Larry Engler)
- New Shanghai Circus - January 31st (Led by: Karen Bell & Laura Courter)
- Your Alien - April 11th (Led by: Laura Courter & Kat Sjogren)
- Doktor Kaboom - April 24th (Led by: Freda Williams & Deb Lombard)
Dinner is provided for each workshop. Each workshop also includes classroom materials. (i.e.-books, art supplies, etc.) Certificate for 3-hour PD credit will be included.